This statue is located in the Southeast quadrant of the town circle (diamond), in front of The David Wills House. The statue was commissioned by the Lincoln Fellowship of Pennsylvania and sculpted by J. Seward Johnson, dedicated in 1991. The statue represents "the common man" with Abraham Lincoln, showing that the Gettysburg Address is as relevant today as it was in 1863. Lincoln is pointing to the window on the second floor of the house, which is where he stayed on the evening of November 18th, most likely putting the finishing touches on the Gettysburg Address.
The next day, on November 19, Lincoln would dedicate the Soldier's National Cemetery by delivering a speech that would later be known as the Gettysburg Address.
We have a responsibility to maintain the statue in Lincoln Square. See the pictures below of work that needs to be done in order to bring the statue up to par. Won't you help? Donations to the Statue Fund are in a restricted account, used only for the purpose of repairing and maintaining the statue! Work will be done on the statue on August 30-31, pictures to follow.
"Lincoln Fellowship of Pennsylvania" is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization.